Young Scientist Forum
Laboratory of Mechanics, Laser Processes and Digital Production Technologies
The laboratory conducts research in the field of traditional powder metallurgy technologies and of additive technologies. The laboratory scientists are working to apply functional coatings to various materials and studying it. The laboratory consists of 2 complexes – laser cladding (1) and detonation (2) coating.
1. The most up-to-date equipment is installed in the laboratory: a laser cladding unit based on the KUKA robot, which allows applying a coating to the surface of the processed product by melting an additive material that is fed into the zone of interaction of laser radiation with the main material. There is a unique detonation spray system that allows you to apply wear-resistant, heat-resistant, anti-corrosion and other powder coatings to metals, alloys, aluminum oxides, chromium, zirconium, titanium and others.
2. Facility for detonation coating of materials allows to apply extra-hard coatings on metal parts. The applied material is heated and accelerated to supersonic speeds due to the energy of the explosion of the gas mixture. The main feature of the technology is that the main adhesion occurs due to mechanical bond, we can say that there is no metallurgical affinity. This is necessary in order to apply a wear-resistant functional coating so the detail won't experience thermal effects.
A number of projects were carried out in the Research Laboratory for Mechanics, Laser Processes and Digital Production Technologies:
- increasing the wear resistance of the crystallizing plates of the continuous casting machine by plasma flame spraying;
- study of the processes of hardening of neck rings for pumping equipment by laser cladding;
- research of processes of restoration of tool inventory of a rolling mill by laser cladding.
Voice over: The Research Laboratory for Mechanics, Laser Processes and Digital Production Technologies is a link in the belt of innovative laboratories of the University and a unique platform for practical research and development, which allows to work out the stages of designing and manufacturing innovative high-tech products and technologies.