Young Scientist Forum
Experimental Mechanics Laboratory
The purpose of the Experimental Mechanics Laboratory is to improve the quality and reduce the design time by building fully functional computer models of products and devices that are confirmed by test results.
In the Experimental Mechanics Laboratory, you can perform the following research work:
- determine the mechanical characteristics of materials (including composite materials) under static and shock loading;
- develop complex models of dynamic systems verified by test results;
- to carry out finite element calculations of the dynamics and strength of structures
- determine the fatigue characteristics of materials;
- conduct bench vibration tests of products with alternating, random, and impulse excitation;
- experimentally determine the natural frequencies and shapes of products;
- non-contact measure the vibration and to determine the stress and strain;
- to carry out multi-channel strain and temperature measurement of structures;
- to identify the sources of noise inside the cabin of the vehicle or in the engine;
- to conduct running trials of vehicles.
The Experimental Mechanics Laboratory is supplied with the following equipment for conducting experiments:
- Instron 5882 testing machine (10 tons) that can perform a variety of mechanical tests (tensile, compression, and flexure) with the temperature range from -70С to +1000С.
- Instron Ceast 9350 Drop Tower Impact System for impact resistance testing of materials at temperatures from -70C to +150C;
- LDC V875 HBT 900 Combo vibration stand with a horizontal sliding table for conducting vibration tests of structures under sinusoidal, random and shock excitation;
- VC LAN 7542 vibration controller;
- 96-channel Siemens (LMS) measurement system for recording vibration accelerations, noise, deformations of machines, devices and objects in laboratory and field conditions;
- portable modal shaker for experimental modal analysis of natural frequencies and structural shapes;
- Siemens (LMS) HD Acoustic Camera acoustic array for noise source localization;
- facilities for the measurement of mechanical properties of materials at high loading rates.
The following research works are carried out in the Experimental Mechanics Laboratory:
- Experimental evaluation of vibration loading of industrial tractor's operator seat;
- Experimental modal analysis of natural frequencies of impeller vane of a micro-gas turbine unit's compressor;
- determination of natural frequencies of a micro-gas turbine unit's starter-generator shaft;
- modelling of a related interdisciplinary Coriolis mass flow meter verified by the results of its tests;
- Measuring two-phase flow in Coriolis mass flow meter through a deformable pipeline;
- strain measurement of a roadheader;
- development of a vibration isolation system for a container intended for satellite transportation based on the results of mock-up tests.
The Experimental Mechanics Laboratory is a link in the production process. Mechanical testing is an integral part of a development. At the first stage, the material that will be used in the product based on the tactical and technical characteristics or technical specifications is laid. For the calculationist’s work, it is necessary to determine the properties of the material and know the deformation diagrams, the strength or yield strength limits that destroy deformations. These exact characteristics are obtained in the Experimental Mechanics Laboratory.